Monday, January 26, 2009

Updates:





February, 2013:

My new entry about Craig Thompson's recent graphic novel Habibi, on the Acquisitions page of my bibliography blog A Gentle Madness sees his work as justified within the genre it inhabits, rejecting the accusations of "self-conscious Orientalism" which some have levelled against his work.



Craig Thompson: Habibi (2011)




December, 2010:

My new post, "How do you make a single-volumed Arabian Nights?" is an attempt to sum up the various attempts made to date, together with my own suggestion for an updated Portable Arabian Nights.


Joseph Campbell, ed.: The Portable Arabian Nights (1952)




July, 2009:

The post I've put up here, "Orientalism and its Enemies, or The Empire Strikes Back," is a reaction to reading Robert Irwin's latest book For Lust of Knowing: The Orientalists and their Enemies. To put it mildly, I don't find his attack on Edward Said's classic text Orientalism particularly cogent or convincing.



Robert Irwin: For Lust of Knowing (2006)




February, 2009:

I've been meaning for quite some time to do a post on the various Arabian Nights comics, gamebooks & other oddities I've collected to date. The seven I list here range from classic Carl Barks Uncle Scrooge comics from the 50s to the latest Korean "manhwa" versions.






December, 2008:

The appearance of Malcolm (& Ursula) Lyons' complete, 3-volume complete translation of the 1001 Nights in the Penguin Classics is a milestone in the history of the collection in English. I've written a review of it here.







No comments: